Sunday 8 April 2007

The walk that started it all.

It was on an Easter Sunday just like this that first got me into walking. I must have been in my early teens and as a family, we had gone to the Giants Causeway for the day -
http://www.giantscausewayofficialguide.com/ . The weather was stunning and having wandered down to the Cuaseway itself and clambered all over it we decided to follow the path we could see following alongside the sea.

The walk followed the low level all the way to Shepherd’s steps returning along the cliff path. At the time it seemed a very long walk so I was somewhat surprised to find that it is only 2 miles. Perhaps the narrowness of the path and its rough nature are what slowed us down.

What I do remember vividly though was the spectacular scenery, the colours and the weather. It was great to get the different perspectives on the walk and the Causeway and the memories have never left me. It was so energising and I recall us all being in buoyant mood when we finished. I really must do it again and take Ellie when we are next in Northern Ireland.

If you fancy trying the walk out for yourself click on the following link
http://www.giantscausewayofficialguide.com/local01.htm

Although an all weather walker, I truly love it when it is clear and bright for then the surroundings do look their best and from any vantage point, you can see far and near. The Causeway experience sewed some seeds in me that are now coming to fruition but also the love of the scenery, the wonderful natural surroundings and the freedom that inspires me to walk more and more.

No comments:

Post a Comment