Monday 7 February 2011

Next walk?

Just had one of my members email me, keen to tell me they'd be on the next walk. Actually it would be their first one and I'm so pleased they're going to come along as I think that they'll also be a great asset to the group. I am so blessed that all these fabulous women have opted to be a member of East End Girls.

So where are we walking? Well, not sure yet. Due to the tube engineering works, I do tend to leave things to the last moment but I am thinking that I should organise more in advance and perhaps have a couple of options.

On Sat I took a good friend on one of the EEG's favourite walks from Mile End down the canal and onto the Thames Path. When there we were able to see the new 'Shard' in it's development. We had been discussing it on our Jan walk with many people not sure if they liked it or not.

Below is a photo of it in it's development and it's growth in conjunction with Tower Bridge which it makes look very small.



I like it and I like the way London marries together the old and the new taking on when it now in vogue but in no way demeaning the wonderful buildings like St Pauls Cathedral, Tower Bridge etc.

In fact this walk made me realise how the views of the London skyline are forever changing as new buildings appear and others like the Gerkin, beloved by Teresa are fairly recent additions but now seem to have been there for ages.


On the left is another view of the new 'Shard' taken from the South Bank very close to Southwark Bridge.

Interested in your comments, what do you think? A few weeks ago there was a photo of the Shard published in the paper showing it more of less growing out of, or right beside St Paul's and it was taken from the top of Primrose Hill. I was up Primrose Hill a couple of weeks ago and it wasn't the view I saw, clearly it depends where the photo is taken from. 

No comments:

Post a Comment