Sunday 13 November 2011

Trip to Burgundy, travel day

Nine of us heading off and seven of us starting from Cowslip road so much excitement as we all gathered on Monday Sept 5th. Permits for car parking were arranged, a taxi service from Alan and Paula's nephew and in the midst of excited women, some like Gemma, not having been with us for a while, I was handing out brightly coloured Harimaki's.

I'd be looking for something to give the girls but was drawing a blank until the wonderful Jo Tocher asked if any of the Athena Angel's wanted to buy Harimaki's to keep us cosy on Maggie's Night Hike. I had my answer and I had great fun deciding what colour everyone should have. I was also delighted to be able to hand them out now as it meant I didn't have to carry them all in my hand baggage.

We were at Stansted in plenty of time and as luck would have it we managed to link up with Chris and Marina at security so we were all together and able to relax over coffee and a bit of retail therapy before setting off.

A few hours later, still talking and laughing of course, we were walking out of Lyon airport to meet Janice and Mark who'd very kindly come to pick us up and drive us to Les Cesiers.

Ever since I first came here to meet Janice, I'd seen it as a great base for the EEG and arriving in glorious sunshine didn't disappoint.

The photo shows the house taken from the orchard.

Those who arrived first had the pick of the rooms so Gemma opted for a room of her own and I picked the top floor with the two double beds for Teresa and I. Then we waited for the others and once unpacked it didn't take long for us to gather in the orchard for tea and cake.
 

Pool viewed from the first floor
We spent the rest of the afternoon chilling by the pool, chatting and laughing while some swam others read books in the shade.

   
Paula braves the rather chilly pool.


Geraldine soaking up the sun in a world of her own

Lindsey cooling her feet and open for conversation or photos...
 I think we all relaxed immediately and were so enjoying being together again and in a slightly different way than before. Normally what we do together is walk so days like this are unusual but they were clearly causing no stress at all.

Our trip was being catered by Janice so all we had to do was sit back and relax and await the call to dinner. On this, the first evening, fizz was served first - what a lovely surprise.

Mark opens the bottle

Marina and Geraldine

Chris, Paula and Gemma


Teresa, the wise one, or does the camera lie?

Lindsey, Heather and Kathy
Cannot remember what we had that first night, what I do remember though is the noise we all made. It was a hot evening so all the windows were open and we, all being together again, were noisy enough but add to that a few bottles of wine and lots of stories to catch up on and I'm so glad that we were far from a residential area, I do think Mark wondered what he'd let himself in for though.


 Raising glasses to the East End Girls and to those who couldn't be with us and one to Paula too who is a very new member but fitted in so well and very soon was 'one of us'
Casting a spell?
It was late when we finished eating and drinking and climbed the stairs to bed where from the room Teresa and I had the stars were bright and clear and nearly worth staying awake for...nearly


My bad in the top floor room.

No comments:

Post a Comment