Sunday 13 November 2011

Nine go to Burgundy, the history

In early 2006, I registered for the Breakthrough to Breast Cancer 60km walk. I needed a walking challenge, couldn't afford to head to Peru to walk the Inca Trail at the time and this London walk was a great event to fill my needs. I emailed a few of my friends telling them they should do it too and two of them joined me, the others telling me I was mad. 60km is 38 miles and this was to be done over 2 days through London.

Not long after I registered, there was an email asking for women to offer to be walk leaders and run walks so that those who had signed up would have some support and training. So, figuring that if I offered to do that, it would keep me accountable, I volunteered and it's truly the best thing I ever did.

Starting with hour long walks and a small group, I ended up with a team of 18 fabulous women, all but two of whom completed the walk in style and without aches and pains. This group came together because of their commitment to this walk and if not for it, would probably never have met.

The fabulous EEG at the end of their 60k walk  

When we finished I was asked "so what now?" It seems that in the course of training these wonderful women had got the walking bug and weren't very keen to stop. My commitment was to walk with them once a month so the East End Girls (EEG) walking group was born and still continues now.


 Since 2006, we've walked nearly every month, some of us went off to Peru, yes, in 2007, I got to fulfill and dream and walk the Inca Trail and I took 3 of my wonderful EEG with me.

From left to right - Gemma, Heather, Teresa and Christine               

Then in June 2008, we were asked to record a walk with Claire Balding for the Radio 4 Ramblings programme so off we went to the Lakes were we enjoyed the most stunning weekend of Lakeland weather culminating in a wonderful walk and broadcast. 


Teresa and I at the cathedral in le Puy en Velay ready to start our Camino


Also in 2008 but this time, the end of September, Teresa and I having discovered our interest in the Camino de Santiago de Compostella started to walk this amazing path. We decided to start it in le Puy en Velay in central France and to date have completed 4 sections, hoping in 2012 to complete two more which will take us to the French/Spanish border.. It's been a fabulous experience so far. We've met wonderful people and walked through parts of France I'm not sure we would never have found otherwise.We had Christine join us on the third section and we have at least 5 more to do once we get to the border so it will be a few years yet before we walk into Santiago de Compostella although only just yeserday, we were discussing the need for a few days holiday there at the end to enjoy the achievement.



As a walking group we have completed the Capital Ring, the Thames Path and much of the London Loop and completed the Pink Ribbon Walk on the South Downs in 2009. We have plans to walk the Norfolk Coast Path, Hadrian's Wall and the Grand Canal among many others. Our problem is the time to do it and if someone would sponsor me to spend the rest of my life walking, I'd be very happy.

Cathy, Nicola, Marina, Geraldine, Lindsey, Cajsa, Zara, Teresa, Kathy and Pauline on the Capital Ring

The completion of the Thames Path - Cajsa, Chris, Me, Teresa and Kathy



Pink Ribbon Team - Lindsey, Cajsa, me, Gemma, Teresa, Chris and Vanessa. 




I cannot now imagine life without the East End Girls. These women are the best I know and ,I would trust my life to them. Walking together, we've got to know each other so well.  As we pound the pavements and explore new areas we've shared the ups and downs, being there to support each other through all sorts of life experiences and the bonding that's happened as a result is a very strong one.

So 5 years after it all began, it seemed very appropriate to celebrate still walking together.
We did so by taking 5 days off and heading off to Les Cesiers in Burgundy to walk, talk, chill and eat and drink and just enjoy each others company.



Noisy, fun loving and 'mad' but wonderful women

No comments:

Post a Comment