Wednesday 14 January 2009

British Countryside and the Black and Multi Ethnic Community

Just before Christmas, I make contact with a journalist who was writing a piece on the above. The article's aim is to look into the issue of barriers to the black and multi ethnic community accessing and enjoying the British countryside and also to explore what's being done to change the situation and make the countryside more accessible for all British people.



I had a chat with Emma in the new year and was able to put her in touch with Zara, the youngest member of the East End Girls (EEG). Yes, that's Zara on the right. She's walked with us since 2006 when we all came together as individuals to do the Breakthrough to Breast Cancer 60k walk. She clearly enjoyed it and her comments on the EEG are below.


"From the East End girls, I get a strong sense of belonging to a wonderful group of people. I feel welcome and appreciated by all members and they're all like family that you can have a laugh with and/or about!!!


The walking and talking, gives a relaxed atmosphere and I don't feel pressured to walk at a certain pace. I am able to talk to people that I generally wouldn't get a chance to, because of my age, and I get on very well with every single person.


The Girls and group, give me a sense of pride and accomplishment when I think of what we have all done together, and continue to do. We all support on another through various things such as more fundraising or just general life issues and offer advice!!!"


As well as Zara, we had another black member, two Asian members, Marina who is Turkish, Cajsa who's Swedish and I'm not 100% sure of the other wonderful background mixes that are involved in other members. What is important to us is the fun we have and the chat and support we can give each other.



The walking group is still multicultural and I like to think we are very welcoming of anyone who wants to come and walk. My WOW groups also reflect a mixed background.



However, I do think that walking in the UK is perceived as a mainly white pastime and that of course will not encourage those from black and multi ethnic communities to get involved. I very much welcome greater accessibility to all and would be very interested to hear your comments or personal experiences whatever they show. It would be great to compile these and recommend good practice.


After the Breast Cancer walk, Zara's comments were:-

"I have never met such a great bunch of women in my entire life and don't think I ever will. I really, really want to do something like that again. "


No comments:

Post a Comment