Monday 2 April 2012

Reason for a walk....

Do you need a reason to take a walk? I don't believe you do, it can just be because it's a nice day or you want to get out in the fresh air but for me in the month of March part of the reason was to try out Butler's Retreat.

Now Butler's Retreat is a wonderful weather boarded building on the edge of Epping Forest which as a walking group, we have used lots in the past. It had got rather run down although it still provided a place for a coffee/tea break and of course, the all important loo stop. Then it got sold and for months on end was surrounded by tall hoardings. In fact sometimes I did wonder if it would ever open again so imagine my pleasure when I drove past in Feb to find all hoardings removed and the place looking very inviting and welcoming.

So when it came to plan our March walk, I found that I so craved getting out into greenery and nature and chose one of my favourite walks and one that I know the group love too. This walk was then planned to include a tip to Butler's Retreat and when I researched to find out more was delighted to find that it had been taken over by a deli in the locality which I love.

I had warned the group that there may be mud so dressed in layers, armed with water, sun screen, gloves and fully equipped for all seasons we met up at S Woodford Station. There were two new members too checking us out so this had to be of interest and fun.

Yes, there was mud and at times, we were having to help each other over small streams but it was fabulous to be in the forest and walking on softer surfaces than on pavements and roads. About 1.5 hours took us to coffee time and wow, what a fab place Butler's retreat now is. Interior decor, food, service etc, all great. I think we started to wish that this was lunch stop but there will be so much more opportunity to try this out again.

After coffee, we headed off to Connaught Water which is currently being lansdscaped. Lots of people around enjoying the sunshine and as usual my group were chatting away as only women can so was I really surprised to find out that those who wer at the back missed the turn and disappeared. Luckily we all noticed and with the help of mobile phones we all managed to get together again. Were they trying to escape?

From here, we crossed the main road and headed into more of the forest and into an area that I love so much as no matter for what time of the year, it looks glorious. Then it was down to Loughton and being able to sit outside and enjoy lunch. How lovely to be able to do this in March.

After lunch, we continued the return journey and started off with a steep hill up and then, almost immediately, down and then from there into the park that leads along the River Rodding as it journeys from Buckhurst Hill to Loughton.

We finished our walk at Buckhurst Hill Station and great feedback from our new members, I look forward to seeing them again next month.

No comments:

Post a Comment