Saturday 16 May 2009

Yosemite's Half Dome.


I visited Yosemite for the first, and only time so far, in July 2007 and loved it. The whole experience made me realise just how insignificant I am in the scheme of things as everything was so huge and I, so small. This wasn't a bad realisation as it brought home to me the need to get less caught up in the small things that didn't really matter.

We spent 3 days in the park getting a feel for it, following some of the trails, spotting wildlife, including a bear and marvelling at the wonderful scenery.


For me, a walker, I just wanted to take off and hike but this wasn't really the right time for the big ones and on my 'to do' list is definitely the plan to return for the sole purpose of hiking the longer trails.

One hike that appealed took in the majestic Half Dome which I got to see from a number of places in the Park and I was able to get different perspectives on this amazing Rock Outcrop. Some day.



Today I read that on May 15th, just yesterday, the cables to the summit of Half Dome have been installed which now enables the completion of a grueling 17-mile round-trip hike during which hikers gain 4,800 feet of elevation and are treated with stunning views of Vernal and Nevada falls. Oh, I want to go......

The route means that after passing the falls, weary travelers reach the cables and are close to the goal of the trek. The series of metal cables are placed on Half Dome's steep granite shoulder and are an aid to help hikers reach the summit. It's a popular trail and as you can see, the route is sometimes crowded.

If you are planning on walking the trail, Yosemite advises taking appropriate precautions and be prepared for rapidly changing weather. Rain, thunder and lightning are all common in the Sierra Nevada, especially in summer and fall, and hikers should not attempt to summit the dome when lightning appears possible.
Enjoy this place and Half Dome and whether you hike it or just view it, you will be amazed.

No comments:

Post a Comment